Traditionally Black Forest Cakes are made with chocolate sponge cake or so I’ve been told. I’m not a fan of chocolate sponge cake, too dry for my taste buds no matter how much booze goes into it. I went ahead and baked a chocolatey moist devils cake instead. I made a delicious cherry filling and some homemade whipped cream and I don’t regret it one bit.
I enjoyed every single bite
Black Forest Cake
This deliciously moist chocolate cake is filled with a sweet vanilla buttercream and tart cherry filling. A delicious birthday cake option!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 65 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 cups dried pitted cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter and flour two 9″ cake pans
- Sift the unsweetened cocoa powder, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour mixture and egg mixture until well incorporated then pour in the boiling water slowly while mixing
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and tap pans on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles
- Bake the cakes for about 28-30 minutes or until fully cooked through
- Allow the cakes to completely cool
- Place cherries, sugar, salt, and cornstarch into a sauce pan and cook over medium low heat for about 20 minutes. stir often
- Let the cherry mixture cool completely
- In a large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and mix until peaks form.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake plate, using a spatula, spread 1/3 cup of the homemade whipped cream and 1/2 cup of the cherry filling over the layer. Add the second cake layer and spread most of the remaining homemade whipped cream all over the top and sides.
- Pipe the remaining whipped cream around the edges and place the remaining cherry filling in the center.