Chicken Stew is one of those comfort meals that I just can’t get enough of! Nothing better than a bowl of chicken stew on a cold winter evening! Serve this with some Cheese Garlic Biscuits, Onion Rolls, or Honey Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread.
Baked in the oven and loaded with carrots, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and peas!
If you enjoyed my Fricase de Pollo recipe then you’ll certainly love this one. This chicken stew is seasoned and cooked to perfection. I added my favorite vegetables which include potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and peas although, feel free to add in whatever vegetables you like. You may also add 1/2 cup white wine for extra flavor, that’s completely optional but I highly recommend adding chicken stock and tomato paste.
You may serve this over white rice or enjoy it on its own but I love chicken stew with some bread on the side. The best part about this dish is the crispy chicken skin. The outside is nice and crispy and the inside is super tender and juicy. My family devoured this dish in under 15 minutes. I don’t blame them, can you?
What type of chicken should I use?
Bone in chicken thighs is what I prefer to use for chicken stew but feel free to use chicken legs or boneless chicken thighs. I don’t recommend chicken breasts for this recipe because chicken breasts cook very quickly and you need to cook this for over an hour so the potatoes and carrots fully cook through.
How to Make Chicken Stew
Season the chicken thighs on both sides generously with salt, pepper, paprika, granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
Cook the chicken thighs on each side for 4-5 minutes, then set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook the onions and garlic for about 3 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste, carrots, thyme, rosemary, and season with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken stock and place the chicken back in the pot.
Bring the chicken stew to a boil, cover, and bake for 40 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and potatoes, cover, and cook for an additional 40 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pot, stir in the cream, check for seasoning and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
Add the peas and chicken and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
This is a very easy chicken stew recipe and if you like it extra creamy make sure to add a good amount of cream and cook the sauce over high heat uncovered for about 10-15 minutes.
More recipes you’ll enjoy:
Creamy chicken stew recipe seasoned and cooked to perfection. Loaded with mushrooms, carrots, onions, potatoes, and peas.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup small potatoes
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1 can fresh green peas
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the paprika, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, and granulated onion.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and the spice mixture.
- Add about 3 tbsp of oil to a large pot with high sides.
- Cook the chicken for about 4-5 minutes on each side over high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in the fresh garlic, tomato paste, carrots, and season with salt and pepper and any leftover seasoning.
- Add the chicken stock, rosemary, thyme, and chicken.
- Bring to a boil then cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once the 40 minutes are up, uncover and add the mushrooms and potatoes. Cover and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water.
- Uncover the pot, remove the chicken, add the heavy cream and cornstarch mixture. Cook uncovered over high heat for about 5 minutes or until nicely thickened.
- Stir in the green peas, check for seasoning, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve with warm crusty bread and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
To avoid the mushrooms for burning, make sure they’re covered with liquid.
Keywords: Chicken Stew