Liven up countless dishes when you toss in some of this chipotle seasoning. It takes mere seconds to toss this bold seasoning together and tastes so much better than store-bought. Using mostly seasonings already found in your pantry, you’ll want to add this bright-tasting ingredient to everything.
How to Make
- Gather ingredients – Collect all the spices you need and have them ready to go.
- Mix – Combine all the seasonings in a bowl and mix well.
- Store – Place in a jar or small container with a lid and use it as needed.
What is Chipotle Seasoning Made of?
The main ingredient is chipotle powder. You can find it in most supermarkets in the spice aisle. You also want to add other delicious spices like granulated garlic and onion powder. I also like to add brown sugar to balance the spice and saltiness.
Is Chipotle Powder Spicy?
The name “chipotle” refers to a chipotle pepper. However, each seasoning will vary on whether it’s spicy or not, even though peppers definitely exist in it. Sometimes, the spice is tamed completely down so that it just tastes like a sweet seasoning. Other times, the spice is boosted and the powder is very spicy. This is why it’s nice to make your own. You have more control over whether or not you want it overly spicy or not.
What Does Chipotle Taste Like?
It has a deep smoky taste, which works so well on chicken, ribs, and steak.
Can I Make This Salt-Free?
Absolutely, feel free to omit the salt.
- Use fresh spices
- Adjust the spice amounts – Based on your preferences, you can adjust how much of one spice goes into the mixture. For example, not a huge fan of garlic? You can reduce or remove the spice altogether.
- Can I use another chili powder? – You bet you can! Use whatever kind of chili powder you can get your hands on. It doesn’t have to be any special brand or type, although a chipotle chili powder would be the best for this mixture.
- How to use chipotle seasoning – You can use this seasoning on a plethora of dishes. Baked meats, Mexican dishes, and more. Some of my favorite recipes to use it with are my Crockpot Chili, Spaghetti Squash with Garlic Chicken, or my Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Thighs.
- How much should I use? – This is honestly up to you and your taste preferences. For chili, you’ll want to use more, 1-2 tablespoons. However, you might not need that much for something like baked chicken. So, you’ll have to start out with a small amount and add more as you think it needs it.
Feel free to let me know in the comments below if you gave this Chipotle Seasoning a whirl or if you gave it your own adjustments! You can also find other delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small bowl, combine the chipotle chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the spice mixture to a small jar and store at room temperature.
- To make it salt-free, simply omit the salt.
- To make it sugar-free, omit the brown sugar and reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp.