This is my all time favorite chocolate cake. I use this chocolate cake base for every single chocolate cake I make. You may think it gets boring after a while but nope. I sometimes fill it with cherry filling and frost it with cream cheese frosting. Other times I frost it with chocolate buttercream and sometimes I frost it with an amazing, delicious chocolate fudge. Chocolate fudge is probably my fave. This is the best chocolate fudge I’ve ever made.
Chocolate Fudge Cake
This chocolate on chocolate cake is loaded with sweet rich flavor, it’s like eating a thick brownie frosted with chocolate. It’s not overpowering but you can really taste the chocolate flavor. Try it tonight!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter and flour two 9″ cake pans
- Sift the unsweetened cocoa powder, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour mixture and egg mixture until well incorporated then pour in the boiling water slowly while mixing
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and tap pans on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles
- Bake the cakes for about 28-30 minutes or until fully cooked through
- Allow the cakes to completely cool
- To make the fudge, place 1/2 of the unsalted butter, salt, brown sugar, and 1/2 of the heavy cream in a sauce pan.
- Stir and cook over high heat until it thickens and turns into a caramel color, then lower the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and stir in the remaining butter
- Once the butter melts, stir in the remaining heavy cream.
- Add 1/2 of the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add 1/2 of the bitter sweet chocolate and stir until it melts
- Once the bitter sweet chocolate melts, stir in the remaining powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and bittersweet chocolate.
- Let it cool at room temperature and then place it in the fridge for 1 hour
- Frost the cake with the cooled fudge and enjoy!