This is my all time favorite chocolate cake. I use this chocolate cake base for every single chocolate cake I make. You may think it gets boring after a while but nope. I sometimes fill it with cherry filling and frost it with cream cheese frosting. Other times I frost it with chocolate buttercream and sometimes I frost it with an amazing, delicious chocolate fudge. Chocolate fudge is probably my fave. This is the best chocolate fudge I’ve ever made.
Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter and flour two 9" cake pans
- Sift the unsweetened cocoa powder, all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour mixture and egg mixture until well incorporated then pour in the boiling water slowly while mixing
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and tap pans on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles
- Bake the cakes for about 28-30 minutes or until fully cooked through
- Allow the cakes to completely cool
- To make the fudge, place 1/2 of the unsalted butter, salt, brown sugar, and 1/2 of the heavy cream in a sauce pan.
- Stir and cook over high heat until it thickens and turns into a caramel color, then lower the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes
- Place the mixture in a large bowl and stir in the remaining butter
- Once the butter melts, stir in the remaining heavy cream.
- Add 1/2 of the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add 1/2 of the bitter sweet chocolate and stir until it melts
- Once the bitter sweet chocolate melts, stir in the remaining powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and bittersweet chocolate.
- Let it cool at room temperature and then place it in the fridge for 1 hour
- Frost the cake with the cooled fudge and enjoy!