This Keto Vegan Risotto recipe is the perfect side dish to your keto dinner. This delicious concoction is finished in around 15 minutes and can even be eaten as a main course. Flavorful cauliflower rice pairs with vegetable stock and fragrant garlic to ramp up your keto recipe box!
This keto vegan risotto is a perfect side dish or even main dish, whether you’re following keto or not. It’s extremely quick and bursting with a lot more flavor than you would expect from such a healthy dish. Whip it up and serve it with this Chicken Mushroom Skillet or even some Cajun Salmon and Shrimp. It’s great by itself or pairs well with most dinners, since it’s just like rice!
How to Make Keto Vegan Risotto
- Cook the onion and garlic – Heat the oil and cook the onion for about 7 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the last ingredients – Add the cauliflower rice and cook for five minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about another 2 minutes.
- Serve – Garnish with pepper and walnuts if desired and enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Storage – Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. Do not store in the pantry. Will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Reheating – Reheat using the microwave or over the stove. When reheating from the freezer, let thaw, then heat as suggested.
- Make it spicy – Add some crushed red pepper to the mix or some diced fresh peppers. A drizzle of keto-friendly hot sauce would be delicious as well.
- Make it thicker – If your mixture seems too thin, let it cook a little longer, uncovered, so the mixture can cook off some of the excess liquid.
- Make it thinner – If your risotto is too thick, add in a bit more chicken stock until it reaches the desired consistency. When it cools, it will thicken a bit, so keep this in mind when adding more stock.
- Garnish ideas – If you don’t want to top with walnuts and pepper, you can use other garnishes instead. For example, freshly chopped herbs, some roasted chicken chunks, other veggies, etc.
- Is this vegan-friendly? – This dish is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free! If you pay attention to ingredients, it’s very easy to make soy-free as well!
- Add protein – If you don’t mind the vegan or vegetarian aspect, you can add meat to this dish to up the protein and still be within keto parameters. If you do mind the vegan and vegetarian aspect, you can always add more protein in the form of roasted chickpeas or similar ingredients.
Can I Eat Arborio Rice On a Keto Diet?
Since arborio is a type of rice and very high in carbs, it’s not very keto-friendly. In other words, no, you cannot eat arborio rice on a keto diet. I mean, you could if you wanted to, but it would kick you out of ketosis in a heartbeat, defeating the purpose. Cauliflower rice is very low in carbs but packed with nutrients, which is what makes it so keto-friendly. Not to mention, it’s delicious and a perfect substitution for risotto.
What is the Lowest Carb Rice?
Rutabaga rice is deemed the lowest carb rice currently out there. However, cauliflower rice, which is used in this risotto recipe, comes in second for the lowest amount of carbs.
Once you give this delicious and creamy risotto a try, you won’t want to make it any other way!
More Recipe Ideas…
You can find more delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
Keto Vegan Risotto
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp nutriotional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts roughly chopped and toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Cook the onion until translucent, around 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 20 more seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower rice and saute for 5 minutes. Add the stock, walnuts, salt and pepper and nutritional yeast and cook, stirring constantly until the stock has reduced, around 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut oil.
- Serve with walnuts and season with salt and pepper.
Leave a Reply