Don’t let the weird photos throw you off. This soup is PHENOMENAL. Anything involving beef and lots of cheese usually is. Not only is it delicious it is one of those recipes that you throw everything into a pot and forget about it. I like to let the soup simmer while I do other stuff around the house. Love those kinds of meals.
You can add any cheese you’d like to this. I highly recommend adding lots of fresh garlic and basil. It’s not lasagna without garlic and basil. At least in my house.
A comforting beef and cheese lasagna soup. Perfect for a cold winter night.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- 1 lb beef
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6-8 lasagna noodles
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the beef completely over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in the fresh garlic, basil, red pepper flakes, and cook for an additional 15 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, chicken stock, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Let it come up to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 40 minutes.
- Discard any excess fat using a ladle and add the lasagna pasta.
- Cover and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Add ricotta and mozzarella cheese and turn off the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.