This pot roast is fantastic. I stuffed it with fresh garlic chunks and fresh rosemary.
The trick to a delicious pot roast is seasoning generously and searing it on all sides before roasting it.
I also like adding red wine but that is completely optional. I enjoy pot roast with lots of sauce served with garlic mashed potatoes.
I can never have too much garlic. No such thing.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Pot Roast with Vegetables
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 5 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Pot Roast browned on all sides then cooked in the oven with carrots, onions, garlic, and wine. Super delicious and easy.
- 3 1/2 - 5 lb bottom round cut
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season the beef generously with kosher salt and pepper on all sides.
- Using a paring knife, slice 1-inch slits all over the top and bottom.
- Fill each slit with garlic and rosemary.
- Sprinkle the flour all over the beef.
- Warm up some vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook the beef for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the beef from the dutch oven and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, tomato paste, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme, rosemary, red crushed pepper. Cook for an additional 10 seconds.
- Add the wine and reduce by half.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and beef stock.
- Place the beef back into the dutch oven.
- Cover and place it in the oven for 3 hours.
- Make sure to flip the roast after cooking for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover for the final 30 minutes of cooking.
- Discard the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Slice into medallions and enjoy!
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 6g | Sodium: 631mg | Potassium: 891mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 9000IU | Vitamin C: 9.2mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.4mg