When I first started to cook in my early 20’s (yeah I was a bit late to the game) I always avoided cooking arroz con pollo. The rice was always mushy, the chicken undercooked, the rice over cooked, burned, you name it. So my trick (which I thought was genius) was to buy a cooked chicken, cook some yellow rice, and put it all together.
Nowadays I can make a mean arroz con pollo from scratch, bone in and all. I just had to master it. However, I think this is a great cheat recipe. It’s delicious and very simple to prepare.
Shredded Chicken and Rice
This is one of those recipes that you learn when you’re first cooking. This recipe is a staple in most kitchens and you can see why because it’s so easy to prepare. Check it out and see how to make a chicken and rice dish that’s easy to make and guaranteed to satisfy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Total Time: 80 minutes
- 4-5 thinly sliced chicken breasts seasoned to taste
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (vino seco)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1 tsp sazon
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime juice *optional*
- Season chicken on both sides with Cajun seasoning and squeeze
- some fresh lime juice on both sides of the chicken.
- In a large pot cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through, set aside.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pot and cook until translucent.
- Add the dry white wine and let it reduce by half.
- Stir in the fresh garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the rice and water.
- Season with sazon, salt, and pepper.
- Once the mixture comes up to a boil, lower the heat and then cover.
- Cook the rice for 35-40 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken and then add it to the cooked rice.
- Simmer the rice and chicken for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is nice and warm.
- Serve with lime juice, hot sauce, and enjoy!