I call this recipe a lazy one but a goody. What’s better than perfectly seasoned spicy shrimp and asparagus? I originally wanted to make chili garlic shrimp but ended up turning it into a shrimp and asparagus dinner. I did add a little bit of sugar because I like that it helps to caramelize the shrimp and it also goes nicely with chili.
You can, of course, omit the sugar if you are on a low carb diet or just don’t feel is necessary. I added lots of garlic and some butter. The butter helps deglaze the skillet. You can use white wine to deglaze the pan instead. I recommend serving this with white or brown rice. You may even serve it with rice noodles.
Shrimp and Asparagus
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 asparagus spears
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat some oil in a large skillet.
- Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
- While the asparagus cooks, Combine shrimp, chili powder, sugar, salt, pepper, olive oil, and garlic.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Omit the sugar and reduce the chili if you want to make it a little healthier and less spicy.