Remember the honey chipotle and spicy chipotle craze a couple of years ago? Well, I’m still obsessed with chipotle! Nothing has changed. I uploaded this video to youtube about 5 years ago and until this day I make this recipe from time to time. I adore it. I’m a huge fan of sweet chipotle.
I’m also a fan of ribs! Big fan. In fact, it’s the final meal I always say I want to have if I’m ever on death row. You should definitely serve these with a side of mac and cheese and coleslaw.
Tender sweet chipotle beef ribs simmered with dried spices and a homemade sweet chipotle sauce.
- 3 lbs beef ribs
- 3 chipotle peppers roughly chopped plus 3 tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the oregano, onion powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Season the beef on all sides with the spice mixture, fresh garlic, olive oil, and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Let the beef ribs come to room temperature before placing them in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until done.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in the tomato paste, brown sugar, chipotle peppers, lime juice, salt, pepper, and water.
- Let the mixture simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Blend the mixture using an immersion blender or food processor.
- Coat the ribs with the chipotle mixture and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!