A homemade sloppy joe sandwich is the easiest meal you can make. Sweet and savory, messy, delicious, and packed with flavor. Made with simple ingredients in under 40 minutes!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Buns
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the onions and peppers, cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the beef and cook until browned. Stirring occasionally. This should take 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Add the tomato paste, ketchup, dijon mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, water, salt, pepper, and cook for 25 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
Check for seasoning. Serve on buns with cheddar cheese. Enjoy!
- Use good quality soft buns. The bread will make or break this recipe!
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add more chili powder if you like it spicy.
- If you don't like onions and peppers, omit it, and add 2 tsp of onion powder.
Calories: 680kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 1060mg | Potassium: 595mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 1024IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 290mg | Iron: 14mg