Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
This classic recipe for Philly cheesesteak sandwiches is the ultimate comfort food! Made with thinly sliced ribeye, American cheese, onions, and hoagie rolls. You’ll make a restaurant-style classic from scratch that rivals the original Philadelphia iconic meal.
- 1 lb Ribeye steak
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 4 Hoagie rolls
- 8 slices cheese White or yellow American
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
Cover and freeze ribeye steak for 45 minutes. Slice the steak into thin slices. The thinner the better.
In a small bowl, mix the minced garlic and softened butter. If using unsalted butter, season with salt.
Add 1 tbsp of oil to a large skillet and cook the diced onion for 5-6 minutes or until caramelized. Remove the onions from the skillet and set them aside.
Add more oil to the skillet if needed and add the sliced beef. Increase the heat to high, season the beef with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Cook the beef for 3-4 minutes or until the beef is fully cooked. Stir the onions into the beef and check for seasoning.
While the beef cooks, slice the rolls 3/4’s of the way and spread the garlic butter on each side. Toast the buns on a large skillet over medium heat.
Place the slices of cheese on top of the beef and onions and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for 1 minute. Add a generous amount of beef, cheese, and onion to each roll and enjoy!
- Make sure you are freezing the ribeye before slicing thin. Strips that are too thick will be tough and chewy changing the texture of the sandwich.
- When cooking beef in the skillet, discard any excess beef fat as it can weigh down the sandwich and make it soggy.
- If you’re using unsalted butter in the garlic butter, add some salt for flavor.
- Hoagie rolls can be toasted under the broiler for 1-2 minutes instead of in the pan.
Calories: 582kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 158mg | Sodium: 513mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 929IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 426mg | Iron: 2mg