Arroz Con Pollo A La Chorrera
This arroz con pollo a la chorrera is a Cuban classic dish made with soupy rice, chicken, and beer. An easy dinner meal that's perfect for a busy weeknight or a potluck!
- 2 cups parboiled medium-grain rice or short grain rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup beer
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tsp sazon
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 lb chicken boneless
- 1 tbsp sofrito optional
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 tbsp capers optional
- 1 tsp vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Begin by heating 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the sofrito, onions, green and red bell peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add the chicken, sazon, chicken bouillon powder, cumin, oregano, capers, bay leaf, vinegar, and tomato sauce. Cook for 20 seconds.
Stir in the rice well and then add the water. Let it come up to a boil. Once it comes up to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 25 minutes.
Once the 25 minutes are up, add the beer and green peas. Cook for an additional minute, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
- You can certainly omit the beer and add a cup of chicken stock instead.
- Don't add the beer or chicken stock until the rice is completely tender! Also, make sure to add the peas at the end otherwise they'll get mushy.
Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 666IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg