Keto Broccoli Mushroom Casserole
This casserole is a side dish of fresh mushrooms and broccoli florets coated in a creamy cheese sauce. Low carb, keto-friendly, and perfect for the holidays!
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream full fat
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp red crushed pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for cooking mushrooms and onions
Boil the broccoli for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Place the broccoli in a colander and discard any excess water. Pat dry the broccoli with a paper towel if necessary.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium skillet, add some butter and let it melt over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the onions and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the fresh garlic and red crushed pepper and cook for 20 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, heavy cream, and 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture.
Add the mushroom mixture and broccoli to the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
Place the broccoli mixture into a 9x9 baking dish and top it off with the remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!
- Because this is a keto meal and doesn't contain any flour or thickening agents, the sauce will thin out a bit as it bakes. Therefore make sure to remove any excess liquid from the broccoli and mushrooms!
- You may use any type of cheese you prefer! Colby Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese are excellent options!
- Want to make it spicy? Add a generous amount of red crushed pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 448mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1030IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 255mg | Iron: 1mg