Cabbage Roll Soup
This easy cabbage roll soup consists of ground beef, rice, spices, and cabbage. Enjoy a bowl of this delicious soup with crusty bread for the ultimate lunch or dinner!
- 1 lb ground beef 93% lean
- 1 cup white rice long grain
- 4 cups green cabbage roughly chopped
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bay leave
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp red crushed pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley optional
- lemon optional
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, break it up with a wooden spoon, and let it brown completely.
Add the onions and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, cover the pot, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Uncover the pot and stir in the red crushed pepper, tomato paste, paprika, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, onion powder, oregano, garlic, and brown sugar. Cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the chicken stock, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Let it come to a boil, then add the rice. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 25 minutes while stirring frequently.
Season with salt and pepper and add more chicken stock if needed.
Add a squeeze of fresh lemon and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Stir the soup frequently otherwise the ground beef and rice will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- The soup will thicken a lot while it simmers, make sure to add extra liquid, if needed.
- Season the soup generously with salt and pepper for best results. Also, make sure to include the brown sugar to help balance the acidity from the tomato sauce.
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 920mg | Potassium: 954mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 4567IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 4mg