Southern Red Velvet Cake
An easy Southern red velvet cake that's super moist, delicious, and made entirely from scratch.
2 9-inch round cake pans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk room temperature
- 1 tbsp red food coloring or more if needed
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease two 9-inch cake pans.
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and red food coloring.
In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until well combined but don't over mix. It's fine if you see some lumps in the batter.
In a small bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Once it foams up, add it to the cake batter and fold it in.
Evenly divide the cake batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 25-26 minutes.
Allow the cakes to cool completely and then run a knife around the edges to loosen and turn them onto a wire rack. Frost with cream cheese frosting and enjoy!
- Do not overmix the cake batter or overbake the cake. Overbaking the cake for even a minute can cause it to dry out.
- Use room-temperature eggs and buttermilk for even baking. And use softened butter and cream cheese! for a silky smooth frosting!
- It's crucial that you allow the cake to cool completely before frosting otherwise the frosting will melt and run all over the place.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 492mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 134IU | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2mg