Ultimate Marinara Sauce
This is hands down the ultimate marinara sauce recipe! Perfect served over pasta or used as a dip. Made with simple ingredients in under 30 minutes!
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sugar *check notes*
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
Add olive oil and onions to a large pot and cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until the onions become translucent.
Stir in the fresh garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 20 seconds.
Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, and a splash of water. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Once the 15 minutes are up, season the sauce with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
- Allow the marinara sauce to cool completely then transfer it to a mason jar and refrigerate for up to 4-days. If you want to freeze it, transfer the sauce to a large freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- San Marzano tomatoes are sweet so if you're using those, you can omit the sugar.
- If using whole peeled tomatoes, crush them with your hands or a potato masher before adding them to the pot.
Calories: 58kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 89mg | Potassium: 213mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 166IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg