This comforting recipe for Baked Spaghetti combines spaghetti pasta, red sauce, and creamy ricotta and is then topped with mozzarella and parmesan for a crispy crust on the top. It’s the perfect meal for Sunday dinner or for any time of the week!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- pinch red chili flakes optional
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- bunch of fresh basil
- 28 ounces arrabiata sauce or any jarred red sauce
- 28 ounces vodka sauce or any jarred red sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large pot over medium-low heat, add onions and cook until translucent. Add red chili flakes and fresh minced garlic, cook until garlic turns a golden color.
Add the beef and cook until fully browned, season with Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Add the red sauce, fresh basil, stir and let it simmer covered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, cook one pound of spaghetti in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan, basil, parsley, and salt and pepper until evenly combined.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place the cooked spaghetti in a casserole dish and combine it with the ricotta mixture and meat sauce. Add the mozzarella cheese and extra parmesan cheese on top and place it in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese is completely melted. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you’re making this for kids, feel free to omit the red pepper flakes to keep it from having a spicy flavor.
- The cheese on top will melt quickly under the broiler, so make sure you’re watching it carefully.
- If you’d like to add some vegetables to this dish, saute chopped bell peppers, zucchini or mushrooms in with the onion to simmer in the sauce.
Calories: 618kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 502mg | Potassium: 693mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 725IU | Vitamin C: 9.9mg | Calcium: 403mg | Iron: 3.7mg