These vanilla sugar cookies are buttery, soft, and chewy. Simple ingredients, no chill cookies made in under 20 minutes!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened (2 sticks)
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- granulated sugar, for rolling about 1/2 cup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. Set it aside.
Mix the unsalted butter and 1 1/4 cups of sugar until smooth and creamy. This should take about 1-2 minutes.
Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
Place about 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in a dish. Divide the cookie dough into balls, then roll in sugar to coat evenly. Place the cookie dough balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes and enjoy.
- The best thing about this sugar cookie dough is that it can be made in advance. The cookie dough will stay fresh for about 4 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Freeze the dough in small portions for those days that you only want to bake a few cookies instead of a big batch.
- Use softened butter and a room-temperature egg for best results!
- If you like stronger vanilla or sugar flavor, use vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla extract.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 42mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 369IU | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg