This dish will be your new Christmas tradition, this flavorful pork is just like my grandmother used to make. Pernil is a roast pork dish that's glazed in a sweet citrus sauce that offsets the spices in the dish.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Servings: 8 people
- 7-9 lb Pork Shoulder
- 2 oranges
- 4 limes
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 envelope Sazon Goya
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
To make the marinade, squeeze the juice of the oranges and lime and stir in the minced garlic, oregano, granulated onion, Sazon, salt, and pepper.
Remove the skin 3/4s of the way and then make several 1 inch deep cuts using a sharp knife into the pork shoulder.
Season the pork all over with salt and pepper generously and then pour over the marinade.
Place the skin back in place, cover with aluminum foil and place it in the fridge for a minimum of 10hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Let the pork shoulder come to room temperature and then place it in the oven, baste every 40 minutes, and cook until a thermometer registers 195 degrees F.
Slice the pork into slices or shred it and enjoy!
- Let the meat sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing or shredding.
- If shredding the meat, make sure you place it back into the pan along with juices.
- Baste the pork every 40 minutes and add water to the bottom of the pan if necessary.
- Marinate for a minimum of 10 hours upto 3 days.
- During the final 40 minutes, uncover and increase the oven temperature so the skin gets extra crispy.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 162mg | Sodium: 185mg | Potassium: 929mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 29.9mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 3.3mg