Stuffed French Toast
This stuffed french toast recipe is made with challah bread, egg custard, and berries. Serve it with butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar for breakfast or brunch!
- 4-6 challah bread slices cut into 1 1/4 inches
- 3/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup raspberries optional
- 1/4 cup blueberries optional
- butter, for frying
In a small bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and sugar. Mix well and then fold in the blueberries and raspberries.
In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix until well combined.
Using a serrated knife, cut a horizontal slit on the crust of each slice of bread stopping just before you reach the opposite crust. This will create a pocket for the filling.
Spoon about 2 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture into each slice of bread.
Add some butter to a skillet and once it melts, dip the bread in the egg mixture on both sides and then place the bread in the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.
- For best results use fresh ingredients except for the bread, the bread should be slightly stale.
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened at room temperature.
- If you're serving these stuffed french toast with syrup, I recommend using a small amount of cream cheese for each slice of bread otherwise it will be too sweet. A little bit goes a long way!
- Use a nonstick skillet.
- Don't leave the bread in the custard for too long, 3-4 seconds per side is plenty.
- If using sandwich bread, use two slices of bread and prepare it like a sandwich. Spread a layer of cream cheese filling on one side of the bread and top with the second slice of bread.
Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 138mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 594IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 1mg