This is the BEST mac and cheese I’ve ever made. Please don’t let the Velveeta throw you off, it works wonders in this recipe. All of the cheeses mentioned in this recipe may sound strange to combine together but here is the honest truth, the best mac and cheese I’ve ever had was in a hole in the wall in NYC where they use these exact cheeses to make their mac and cheese.
Now, of course, they didn’t give me their mac and cheese recipe but all I had to do was go to their site and read their menu. A Little trick, most if not all restaurants name all of the ingredients they use in their dishes. You just have to put your culinary magic to work and figure out how much of each to use. It took me a couple of tries to get this right but here it is
The second time around I cooked it just a little longer and served it with some BBQ chicken! If you want a crispy top cook it for about 30-35 minutes total
This is a great guilty pleasure. The Velveeta cheese is there as an added bonus to help make the pasta super creamy. With the different cheeses, this prevents it from being too clumpy and overdone.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup muenster cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt generously
- While the water comes up to a boil, melt the butter in a skillet and add a smashed garlic so the garlic infuses the butter
- When the butter melts completely, fish out the garlic clove and add the all purpose flour
- Whisk the all purpose flour and melted butter over medium high heat for about 2 minutes
- Add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps
- Cook over medium high heat until the sauce thickens
- While the sauce is thickening cook the macaroni according to packaging instructions
- Once the sauce thickens, stir in 3/4's of the 5 different cheeses, leaving some behind for later
- Season the cheese sauce with salt and granulated garlic.
- When the pasta is almost done cooking, drain it and add it to the cheese sauce
- Place the macaroni and cheese sauce in a greased casserole dish and top it off with the remaining 5 cheeses.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and enjoy