Smothered Chicken Thighs are the perfect dinner for a chilly night!
Spices, butter, cream, onions, garlic, etc. what’s there not to like? Some of my other favorite chicken recipes include
Can you make smothered pork chops instead? Of course! You can make smothered steak or smothered turkey wings if you’d like as well. However, I urge you to try these smothered chicken thighs and then you can smother anything you’d like.
The sauce is super creamy but it mostly consists of chicken broth. This isn’t a quick meal, it cooks for about an hour but let’s face it, meals cooked long and slow are the best.
Similar to my smothered pork chops recipe, I seasoned the chicken and the flour so everything is nice and well seasoned.
What to serve this with?
Fluffy white rice
Creamy Smothered Chicken Thighs
Creamy smothered chicken thighs seasoned to perfect and cooked long and slow.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch of red crushed pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil, for frying
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, oregano, chili powder, and granulated garlic.
- Season the chicken with the spice mixture, salt, and pepper.
- Add the remaining spice mixture to the all-purpose flour.
- Coat the chicken with the seasoned flour, shake off any excess.
- Cook the chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red crushed pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the butter and 1 tbsp of the seasoned flour.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for one hour.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
To make the sauce creamier, add more butter and cream to the sauce once it comes out of the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the stovetop.
Keywords: creamy smothered chicken thighs