Sometimes during the week I just want to make dinner in less than 20 minutes. I love cooking but when it’s been a long day the goal is to put a delicious dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes. I used cod for this recipe only because I wanted a flaky white fish. You may certainly splurge and use Chilean sea bass my personal favorite.
I dislike tilapia but if you enjoy it you may certainly use it as well. This dish is full of flavor, veggies, juicy tomatoes, and flaky fish yum! I suggest serving this with white rice and maybe some white wine 🙂
So here are the veggies you’ll need minus the mushrooms (sorry mushrooms)
There they are! I sauteed the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic for a couple minutes to get them nice and caramelized.
I used diced tomatoes because they cook so well and they’re so juicy.
I seasoned the fish with salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, and a little olive oil.
Cook the fish for 12-15 minutes and voila
Skillet Cod with Tomatoes, Onions, and Peppers
This delicious skillet cod dinner is ready in 20 minutes and is packed with delicious onions, mushrooms, and green and red peppers cooked to perfection in a juicy tomato sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- 1 lb cod
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp chili powder *optional*
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle olive oil over the fish and season with salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder.
- Heat a large skillet with some olive oil and cook the onions, peppers, and mushrooms for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant (about 10 seconds)
- Add the white wine and let the wine reduce by half.
- Add the diced tomatoes, brown sugar, bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned fish in the skillet and spoon the sauce over the fish.
- Stir in the capers, cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked through.
- Serve with lime wedges and white rice if desired and enjoy!