Sometimes during the week I just want to make dinner in less than 20 minutes. I love cooking but when it’s been a long day the goal is to put a delicious dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes. I used cod for this recipe only because I wanted a flaky white fish. You may certainly splurge and use Chilean sea bass my personal favorite.
I dislike tilapia but if you enjoy it you may certainly use it as well. This dish is full of flavor, veggies, juicy tomatoes, and flaky fish yum! I suggest serving this with white rice and maybe some white wine 🙂
So here are the veggies you’ll need minus the mushrooms (sorry mushrooms)
There they are! I sauteed the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic for a couple minutes to get them nice and caramelized.
I used diced tomatoes because they cook so well and they’re so juicy.
I seasoned the fish with salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, and a little olive oil.
Cook the fish for 12-15 minutes and voila
Skillet Cod with Tomatoes, Onions, and Peppers
- 1 lb cod
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp chili powder *optional*
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle olive oil over the fish and season with salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder.
- Heat a large skillet with some olive oil and cook the onions, peppers, and mushrooms for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant (about 10 seconds)
- Add the white wine and let the wine reduce by half.
- Add the diced tomatoes, brown sugar, bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned fish in the skillet and spoon the sauce over the fish.
- Stir in the capers, cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked through.
- Serve with lime wedges and white rice if desired and enjoy!