Bone in chicken simmered in spices, vino seco, tomato sauce, and cooked until falling off the bone. Cuban chicken fricassee is one of my favorite recipes! This is a fail-proof Cuban chicken fricassee.
Fricase de Pollo Cubano is a staple food in most Cuban households. My grandmother makes this very often and always calls me when she does because she knows it’s one of my favorite meals. Grandma lives about 20 minutes away but I would even drive 2 hours to get to her Cuban chicken fricassee. The chicken should be very flavorful and almost falling off the bone.
I prefer using skinless chicken legs and thighs for this recipe but if you decide to use skin-on chicken then make sure to crisp up the skin well during the browning process.
Fricase de Pollo / Chicken Fricassee
This fricase de pollo is a flavor-packed dish cooked until the chicken is falling off the bone. Try this Cuban staple is the perfect comfort food for a weekend night or family dinner.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 80 minutes
- Total Time: 140 minutes
- 4 lbs bone in chicken
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 oranges
- 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp adobo
- 2 medium sized peeled potatoes
- 1-2 carrot sticks
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup dry wine or white wine
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup olives
- 4-5 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine the juice of the oranges and limes, 1 garlic clove minced, oregano, onion powder, granulated garlic, paprika, adobo, salt and pepper
- Pour the juice and spice mixture over the chicken and refrigerate for about 1 hour
- Heat a large skillet with some vegetable oil and brown the chicken on all sides about 5 minutes per side, work in batches so you don’t over crowd the pan
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the onions, bell peppers, and remaining garlic to the skillet. Cook the veggies until they become translucent and season with salt and pepper
- Add the dry white wine, tomato sauce, water, carrots, and potatoes
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook for 1 hour over medium low heat or until the chicken and veggies are fully cooked through and most of the water is absorbed.
- Check for seasoning and enjoy
- Serving Size: 4 servings