I considered this dish a nightmare as a child. Don’t click out of my site just yet, I’ve changed my mind. Completely. This is now one of my favorite meals. I absolutely love any dish that contains tender beef. You won’t need a knife to cut the beef. The beef should fall apart while using a fork.
Yes, it takes about 2 1/2 hours to cook but it’s so worth it. Cuban meals are usually cooked long and slow. Not a lot of prep goes into this, so that’s a good thing. I consider this comfort food. I got this recipe from my grandma who is the queen of carne con papa. The only difference is, she doesn’t add flour nor sears the beef.
She also uses adobo, I prefer sazon. She uses both.Print
Cuban Carne con Papa
This is one healthy and hearty dinner. Cuban beef with potatoes with optional olives is a hearty stew that’s great over rice and has the subtle sweetness from the wine and bay leaves. This recipe is well worth the wait!
- Prep Time: 16 minutes
- Cook Time: 150 minutes
- Total Time: 166 minutes
- 2 lbs beef
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 small onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp Sazon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup olives
- 3 cups water
- 3 potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the all purpose flour over the beef and coat on each side, remove any excess flour.
- Sear the beef in a large skillet with vegetable oil over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Remove the beef from the skillet and add some extra oil if needed.
- Add the onions and peppers to the skillet and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Pour the dry white wine and deglaze the skillet.
- Cook the veggies and wine until he wine reduces by half.
- Place the beef back into the skillet.
- Add the tomato sauce, cumin, salon, bay leaves, water, olives, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for 2 hours on low heat.
- 2 hours later add the potatoes, cover, and cook until the potatoes and beef are fork tender.
- Check for seasoning, then serve over white rice and enjoy!