This picadillo Cubano con papas is a recipe made up of fried potatoes, seasoned ground beef, olives, and raisins. A classic Cuban dish that’s delicious and super easy to make.
Growing up, this dish was served at the table at least once a week. You can make this so many different ways, it’s a very versatile recipe. Some of my aunts don’t add raisins and some don’t add olives. I feel like picadillo needs both olives and raisins for that sweet and salty combo that picadillo is known for. Although, you can replace the olives with capers and raisins with dried cranberries.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Beef – feel free to use any ground meat. Ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground veal also works for this recipe.
- Russet Potatoes – Any type of potatoes will do.
- Red Bell Pepper – Traditionally green bell peppers are used for picadillo but I find the red ones sweeter and more delicious.
- Fresh Garlic
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Dry White Wine – Use any kind of dry white wine or simply omit it.
- Tomato Sauce
- Bay Leaf
- Salt and Pepper
What Does Picadillo Taste Like?
Super flavorful ground beef with a sweet and salty taste and minimal sauce. Best when served over white fluffy rice.
What Can I Do With Leftovers?
So many meals! You can enjoy with lettuce wraps, tortillas, fried plantains, etc. You can stuff some peppers with the leftover picadillo and also make a Cuban style lasagna. The possibilities are endless.
Can I Omit The Potatoes?
Yes, absolutely. You can simply omit the fried potatoes.
Can I Use Frozen Potatoes?
Yes, of course. I’m all for saving time in the kitchen. Feel free to use french fries, tater tots, or any kind you love.
What To Serve This With
Although white or brown rice will always be my go-to, feel free to serve this with Cuban black beans or any type of starch or salad.
If you enjoyed this picadillo Cubano con papas then you will love this Cuban Chicken Noodle Soup! You can also find other delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
Cuban Picadillo con Papas
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 russet potato
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp Sazon
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice the potatoes into bite sized pieces, then place in a bowl with water.
- In a large skillet, heat up some olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook until translucent.
- Stir the garlic in and cook until fragrant.
- Crumble the beef into the skillet, stirring occasionally, then add the sazon, granulated garlic, granulated onion, oregano, cumin, dry white wine, tomato sauce, bay leaf, olives, capers, and water.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes covered.
- While the beef cooks, pat dry the potatoes with paper towel and then fry in canola oil for about 17 minutes or until fork tender.
- Stir the fried potatoes and raisin with the beef and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve over white rice and enjoy!
LOVED IT!!!!! DIDNT CHANGE A THING. HAVE HAD THIS MANY TIMES AT A CUBAN RESTAURANT IN FLORIDA. GREAT RECIPE, THANKS!!! IT’S A KEEPER.
Yay!! So glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thanks for commenting 🙂
Rolf Kaiser says
Have made this a few times and love it. Have given this to a few Latino friends here in Florida, and they love it too. Thank you for sharing
So glad to hear that, Rolf! Thanks for the feedback 🙂