When my sweet little niece requested bbq chicken, I happily obliged. When she saw the whole chicken come out of the oven she was a bit disappointed because she clearly meant bbq chicken nuggets.
Not making this up for a good story but she said this tasted better than nuggets and I believed her 🙂
I enjoy making barbecue sauce from scratch because it is so easy! You throw a bunch of ingredients (that you most likely have on hand) into a pan and let it cook. So easy.
I also season the chicken with a bunch of different spices before brushing it with bbq sauce.
You can serve this bbq chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies but I love french fries and bbq chicken.
Barbecue Roasted Chicken
- 2.5 lb chicken
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, granulated garlic, paprika, oregano, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the chicken all over with the butter mixture.
- Stuff the cavity with 1/2 an onion, wrap the chicken legs with kitchen twine, and tuck in the chicken wings.
- Cover and place it in the oven.
- While the chicken cooks, place the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and chicken stock in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the sauce for 20 minutes or until nicely thickened.
- Once the BBQ sauce is done the cooking, coat the chicken with half of the BBQ sauce and place the chicken back into the oven uncovered.
- Brush the chicken with bbq sauce every 20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Cook until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes covered before carving.
Hi Julie, I cooked a roast chicken as your recipe, it turned to be the Best I have ever cooked so moist and tender with the bbq sauces..Thank You .Will do it this way from now on..
That was yesterday ,today I just cooked the Shrimp ( prawns ) here in Australia as per your recipe ….Great taste also .
Always added breadcrumbs before cooking ,but these turned so crispy your way is the Best .Thank you again …
I’m so glad you enjoyed both recipes, David! Thank you so much for the comment.
Thank you for sharing your recipe! The chicken turned out perfectly and was so moist on the inside. The whole family raved about it (especially the yummy bbq sauce) and the house smelled amazing as it was roasting. I’ll definitely be making this again!
So glad you enjoyed it, Corie! Thanks for the comment 🙂