When my sweet little niece requested bbq chicken, I happily obliged. When she saw the whole chicken come out of the oven she was a bit disappointed because she clearly meant bbq chicken nuggets.
Not making this up for a good story but she said this tasted better than nuggets and I believed her 🙂
I enjoy making barbecue sauce from scratch because it is so easy! You throw a bunch of ingredients (that you most likely have on hand) into a pan and let it cook. So easy.
I also season the chicken with a bunch of different spices before brushing it with bbq sauce.
You can serve this bbq chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies but I love french fries and bbq chicken.
Barbecue Roasted Chicken
A delicious and super easy roasted chicken brushed with a homemade barbecue sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 2 people
- Cuisine: American
- 2.5 lb chicken
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, granulated garlic, paprika, oregano, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the chicken all over with the butter mixture.
- Stuff the cavity with 1/2 an onion, wrap the chicken legs with kitchen twine, and tuck in the chicken wings.
- Cover and place it in the oven.
- While the chicken cooks, place the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and chicken stock in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the sauce for 20 minutes or until nicely thickened.
- Once the BBQ sauce is done the cooking, coat the chicken with half of the BBQ sauce and place the chicken back into the oven uncovered.
- Brush the chicken with bbq sauce every 20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Cook until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes covered before carving.