How great are these for those who dislike pork? I made these from scratch except for the coleslaw 🙂 Feel free to use store bought rotisserie chicken and even store bought BBQ sauce but homemade BBQ sauce is so delicious and easy to make if you have all of the ingredients at home. I definitely suggest making the BBQ sauce from scratch.
Potato slider buns are almost mandatory. They’re so soft. A soft slider bun is what makes these little sandwiches a hit.
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sliders
If you don’t like pulled pork, this recipe is a perfect alternative! Sub in store-bought BBQ sauce and rotisserie chicken for a quick weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 2.5 lbs bone in chicken
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice and zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, and 1/8 tsp chili powder.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Let the chicken cool a bit and then shred using two forks.
- Place the shredded chicken in a bowl, add remaining seasoning if needed and set aside.
- To make the BBQ sauce stir the ketchup, orange juice and zest, fresh minced garlic cloves, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey, chicken stock, and salt to taste in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the BBQ sauce thickens.
- Place the shredded chicken in the saucepan along with the BBQ sauce, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve on potato slider buns and top with coleslaw if desired.