Beefaroni is a childhood classic and my food blog wouldn’t be complete without this recipe. Perfect for busy weeknights and the kiddos will love it. Enjoy this with cheesy garlic bread for a complete meal!
Welcome to my personal version of the kid-approved beefaroni recipe. No wine, crushed red pepper, or basil needed. Super basic. I want this to be your kid’s favorite meal. Yours too! I did add two cups of shredded cheddar cheese and it just made it creamy. It won’t resemble baked ziti at all. Nothing wrong with baked ziti but not what we’re going for.
What is Beefaroni?
A casserole simply made of ground beef, pasta, and tomatoes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ziti – Although beefaroni is traditionally made with ziti, feel free to use any type of pasta you may have on hand.
- Ground Beef – You may use any type of ground protein like chicken, turkey, or sausage.
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Onions – If you have a picky eater at home feel free to omit onions and add onion powder instead.
- Fresh Garlic
- Granulated Garlic
- Cheese – Use any type of cheese that melts well. Mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese works perfectly.
- Salt and Pepper
How Do You Make Beefaroni From Scratch?
- Cook the onions and garlic in olive oil, add the ground beef and cook until the beef is browned completely.
- Season the beef with granulated garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, sugar, and water. Cook for 20 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Add the cooked ziti and cheddar cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Can I Add Some Veggies?
Yes, absolutely. Feel free to add mushrooms, spinach, peppers, etc.
Let the beefaroni come to room temperature and then place it in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days and freeze for up to 3 months. This is a very friendly-freezer meal.
- 1 lb ziti
- 1 lb ground beef
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- cook the onions with some olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the beef and brown it completely.
- Season the beef with granulated garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, water, and sugar.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked ziti and cheddar cheese.
- Serve immediately.