I really enjoy making these for the Holidays because I can play around with the seasonings and sauces. I once made 10 spicy guava Cornish hen and another 10 brined in seasoned buttermilk. I have a very big family. These look pretty big in the photo but they are usually super tiny.
Some are intimidated by roasting chicken but not I. It’s the simplest method ever. You place it in the oven and forget about it for at least an hour 🙂 Think of all the things that can be done around the house in an hour.
I love serving this with vegetables and mashed potatoes. Sometimes french fries.
Buttermilk Cornish Hen
This Buttermilk Cornish Hen recipe is perfect for Holiday family dinners! Don’t be intimidated by the idea of roasting a chicken – with this easy recipe, you’ll have a Holiday dinner ready to impress the whole family.
- Prep Time: 130 minutes
- Cook Time: 190 minutes
- Total Time: 320 minutes
- 2 Cornish Hens (1 1/2 to 2 lbs each)
- 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Tsp Thyme
- 1/4 Tsp Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- Rinse the Cornish Hens, including the cavity. Dry with paper towel, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, fresh garlic, paprika, chili powder, oregano, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Place the Cornish Hens in the seasoned buttermilk, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat dry the Cornish Hens, to remove the excess buttermilk and let them come to room temperature
- Place the Cornish Hens on a roasting pan, cover with aluminum foil and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until they’re fully cooked through.
- The final 15 minutes uncovered.
- Brush with a little butter and Enjoy!