Cinco de Mayo is fast approaching and I wanted to share something different but delicious. I’m not claiming that a lot of thought went into this because that would be a lie. However, I wanted to include pasta because I always make tacos, fajitas, burritos, corn, quesadillas, enchiladas, and guacamole year after year. Nothing wrong with that but I wanted something a tad bit different.
I seasoned the chicken with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. I like using cumin for Tex-Mex recipes as well as chili powder. I did not use lime juice for this recipe and now I’m currently kicking myself for it. Use it.
Maybe even some honey would’ve been yummy. I love adding honey and lime to my fajita marinade.
I enjoyed a bowl of this with some water 🙁 but next time I’ll be sure to serve it with some Margaritas 🙂
I used green, yellow, and red peppers for this. I diced an onion because I’m a brat and don’t like big chunks of onions in my pasta.
Make sure to season the chicken well, to your liking of course.
Grilled Chicken has been so underrated lately.
I used both fresh and canned tomatoes because I love the sweetness and freshness of cherry tomatoes.
Heavy cream is optional but drizzle it in any way. This over rice would be magnificent as well.
Chicken Fajita Pasta
This combines the best of chicken fajitas with a warm cheesey pasta and veggies. This is a healthy well rounded dinner.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 1 lb boneless chicken
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the onions and peppers until translucent.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fresh garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and check for seasoning.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the pasta and grate some fresh parmesan cheese if desired.