Cinco de Mayo is fast approaching and I wanted to share something different but delicious. I’m not claiming that a lot of thought went into this because that would be a lie. However, I wanted to include pasta because I always make tacos, fajitas, burritos, corn, quesadillas, enchiladas, and guacamole year after year. Nothing wrong with that but I wanted something a tad bit different.
I seasoned the chicken with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. I like using cumin for Tex-Mex recipes as well as chili powder. I did not use lime juice for this recipe and now I’m currently kicking myself for it. Use it.
Maybe even some honey would’ve been yummy. I love adding honey and lime to my fajita marinade.
I enjoyed a bowl of this with some water 🙁 but next time I’ll be sure to serve it with some Margaritas 🙂
I used green, yellow, and red peppers for this. I diced an onion because I’m a brat and don’t like big chunks of onions in my pasta.
Make sure to season the chicken well, to your liking of course.
Grilled Chicken has been so underrated lately.
I used both fresh and canned tomatoes because I love the sweetness and freshness of cherry tomatoes.
Heavy cream is optional but drizzle it in any way. This over rice would be magnificent as well.
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 1 lb boneless chicken
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the onions and peppers until translucent.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fresh garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and check for seasoning.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the pasta and grate some fresh parmesan cheese if desired.