My mom detests mushrooms so growing up I never ate them at home. Shame on her because they are delicious. The first time I tried mushrooms on a slice of pizza I almost fell backwards. What I’m trying to say is that mushrooms and cheese go great together. I love a cheesy slice of pizza with grilled mushrooms and in this case a cheesy chicken cutlet with sautéed mushrooms. This is very rich so I recommend serving it with steamed veggies or a colorful salad. I normally serve this with garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, and carrots.
Creamy Mushroom Cheesy Chicken
- 1 lb chicken cutlets
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour for coating chicken
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup mushroom stock or chicken stock
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sherry or white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup swiss cheese
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt pepper, and chili powder to taste
- Season the all purpose flour and chicken cutlets with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Coat the seasoned chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess flour
- Cook the chicken until golden brown on each side and then remove from the skillet. The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce
- .Cook the shallots, garlic, and mushrooms over medium heat for about 4 minutes then season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the wine and mushroom stock and let it simmer for about 2 minutes
- Add the heavy cream, butter, cheese, and oregano
- Place the chicken back in the skillet and spoon the sauce over the chicken
- Let the chicken simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is nicely thickened and the chicken is fully cooked through