I am one of those people that don’t eat breakfast, terrible I know. With breakfast being the most important meal of the day and all but I’m just never hungry when I wake up. However, I always get breakfast food cravings whenever I see a breakfast scene in a movie. I will literally stop the movie and check to see if I have the items to make something similar. So I basically love breakfast food just not at 7 am.
I was a bit hesitant at first to make these because I didn’t think they would be as good as they actually are. I was wrong, they’re ridiculously yummy. I must point out that even though I love chocolate I am not a fan of chocolate swirl bread. Maybe that’s why I didn’t think I would enjoy these.
I’ve already made these three times. We got a snowstorm a couple of days ago and this was breakfast along with some hot coffee. Around 12 pm is what I call breakfast 🙂
Sooo you may make these with hot cocoa mixture but why do that when you can use all of the ingredients you use to make hot cocoa. Unsweetened cocoa powder, heavy cream, sugar, and marshmallows is how I normally make homemade hot chocolate. So that’s how I made these.
This french toast is soaked in chocolate milk to help give it an extra added sugary boost. With the marshmallows, you'll feel like you're at a campfire for breakfast.
- 8 slices bread
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- To prepare the custard, whisk the eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract.
- Heat a large skillet with some butter over medium heat.
- Dip each slice of bread in the custard, soaking both sides.
- Place the soaked bread slices in the hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with some marshmallows and maple syrup.