Italian Cream Cake is normally super moist and deliciously sweet. My secret to a perfect delicious Italian Cream Cake is cake flour, oil, and using less sugar than most recipes call for. I use a mixture of butter, butter flavored shortening, and oil to ensure that it comes out extra moist but not the kind that collapses.
If you love pecans, coconut, and cream cheese frosting, you will love this Italian Cream Cake.
Italian Cream Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 5 eggs separated
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 3 8 inch cake pans.
- Beat the egg whites at a low speed until they are foamy, then beat on high speed until soft peaks, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and shortening until well combined.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the yolks one at a time while mixing on medium speed.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- Add the cake flour and baking soda alternating with the butter milk.
- Add the shredded coconut and pecans.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Divide batter equally amongst the 3 cake pans.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until done.
- Cool cakes completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, mix the butter and softened cream cheese until well incorporated.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix for 4-5 minutes on medium high speed.
- Fold in the chopped pecans.