Easy Jamaican beef patty recipe made from scratch! Flaky crust filled with a delicious seasoned ground beef filling.
Jamaican Beef Patties can be hard to find when you’re out and about but they are very easy to make. These sort of remind me of these homemade empanadas but with a little more spice and flavor. The spices give it a unique taste and pack it full of flavor. This dough recipe is straightforward and simple, and well worth the effort to make these hand pies.
What Are Jamaican Beef Patties Made Of?
You can season these and make them any way you’d like but authentic Jamaican beef patties are made of ground beef, spices, habanero peppers, and homemade dough.
How To Make Jamaican Beef Patties
The first thing you want to do is prepare the dough, Place all of the ingredients except the water into a food processor and mix it while you pour the water through the feed tube. Wrap the dough with plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Cook the beef, onions, peppers, and garlic in a large skillet. When the beef has browned, add the paprika, curry powder, thyme, granulated onion, granulated garlic, chicken stock, bread crumbs, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface and cut out 5-inch rounds
Add about 2 tbsp of the beef filling to each round and fold. Brush the patties with some egg yolk and then bake for 25 minutes.
Once you make these at home you’ll see how easy and fun they are to make. I enjoy making these with the entire family!
Jamaican Beef Patties
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 scallions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 scotch bonnet or habanero peppers
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp soy sauce *optional*
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dough, place the all purpose flour, butter sliced in pieces, sugar, salt, curry powder, and turmeric into a food processor and pulse it a couple times.
- Pour the water through the feed tube and continue to blend the mixture until it forms a ball of dough.
- The dough will be slightly sticky and soft if it’s too sticky add more flour.
- Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with some vegetable oil.
- Add the green onions and peppers to the skillet and cook fro 1 minute.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the beef to the skillet and crumble it as best as possible.
- When the beef has browned, add the paprika, curry powder, thyme, granulated onion, granulated garlic, chicken stock, bread crumbs, soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Cook the beef for 15-20 minutes over low heat, then let the beef mixture cool a bit.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface.
- Cut out 5-inch rounds and add some meat filling to each round, careful not to overfill it.
- Fold the dough over in half to close the empanada and use a fork to press the edges.
- Bake the patties for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!