Easy Jamaican beef patty recipe made from scratch! Flaky crust filled with a delicious seasoned ground beef filling.
Jamaican Beef Patties can be hard to find when you’re out and about but they are very easy to make. These sort of remind me of these homemade empanadas but with a little more spice and flavor. The spices give it a unique taste and pack it full of flavor. This dough recipe is easy to make and even if you aren’t a baker, it’s straightforward and simple, and well worth the effort to make these hand pies.
The first time I tried Jamaican beef patties was at a fried chicken place in NYC. They weren’t good. I went a couple years claiming I didn’t like Jamaican beef patties until I went to a Jamaican restaurant and had the most amazing Jamaican beef patties!
I make these all the time now because they’re so good and like I said, not easy to find. Not good ones at least. Hopefully, you’ll give this recipe a try and enjoy them as much as I do.
Don’t let the dough part intimidate you if you’ve never made the dough from scratch before it is literally the easiest dough to make.
Of course, we’re making the dough from scratch!
All purpose flour, unsalted butter, sugar, salt, curry powder, turmeric, and water is all you need for the dough.
The dough should be slightly sticky and soft. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes
These are the ingredients you’ll need for the filling
I used a yogurt container top to shape these, you may use a bowl 🙂
You may add cheese at this point if you’d like
Brush these with egg yolk and then bake for 25-30 minutes
How to make Jamaican beef patty
The first thing you want to do is prepare the dough, Place all of the ingredients except the water into a food processor and mix it while you pour the water through the feed tube. Wrap the dough with plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Cook the beef, onions, peppers, and garlic in a large skillet. When the beef has browned, add the paprika, curry powder, thyme, granulated onion, granulated garlic, chicken stock, bread crumbs, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface and cut out 5-inch rounds
Add about 2 tbsp of the beef filling to each round and fold. Brush the patties with some egg yolk and then bake for 25 minutes.
Jamaican Beef Patties
Easy Jamaican beef patties with a homemade flaky crust and delicious beef filling.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 80 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Cuisine: Jamaican
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 scallions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 scotch bonnet or habanero peppers
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp soy sauce *optional*
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dough, place the all purpose flour, butter sliced in pieces, sugar, salt, curry powder, and turmeric into a food processor and pulse it a couple times.
- Pour the water through the feed tube and continue to blend the mixture until it forms a ball of dough.
- The dough will be slightly sticky and soft if it’s too sticky add more flour.
- Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with some vegetable oil.
- Add the green onions and peppers to the skillet and cook fro 1 minute.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the beef to the skillet and crumble it as best as possible.
- When the beef has browned, add the paprika, curry powder, thyme, granulated onion, granulated garlic, chicken stock, bread crumbs, soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Cook the beef for 15-20 minutes over low heat, then let the beef mixture cool a bit.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface.
- Cut out 5-inch rounds and add some meat filling to each round, careful not to overfill it.
- Fold the dough over in half to close the empanada and use a fork to press the edges.
- Bake the patties for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Keywords: Jamaican beef patties