lately, my Instagram newsfeed has been flooded with adorable cake jars. People are making a living out of selling cake jars so there’s definitely a market for it. They are so adorable, I would totally buy one. However, they’re super easy to make.
I used my red velvet cake recipe because I love it and think it’s the absolute best but you may certainly use a cake mix if you prefer.
I did mention in the video that I used very little cocoa powder for this recipe only because I wanted the red velvet cake a very vibrant red. It’s the exact recipe I use for my red velvet cupcakes with just a little less cocoa powder. I need to get my hands on some white chocolate cocoa powder asap.
This is my favorite color! If you know me, you know I normally paint my nails this color too 🙂
You can use a muffin tin but why would you want to waste cupcake liners or waste time pausing between pours?
I’m not going to lie, I ate one of these without frosting! So good
These little desserts are perfect for Valentine's Day or as little gifts to give your loved ones. These mini cakes cook up quickly and with a little stacking are so pretty once you frost them. Be sure to save one for yourself.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees .
- In a bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the 2 eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract, red food coloring, and sugar .
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix .
- In a bowl mix the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Once it foams up, add it to the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into a 9 inch greased baking dish and bake for 27-30 minutes.
- To make the frosting, mix the cream cheese and butter for about 2 minutes .
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, mix for about 3 minutes on high speed then place in a piping bag.
- Using a round cookie cutter cut out cake rounds and slice them in half using a serrated knife.
- Place 1 cake layer in a jar then pipe the cream cheese frosting over the cake layer repeating this process until you reach the top.
- Using a heart cookie cutter, cut out some hearts to decorate if desired.