Turn your warm drink experience into a little crafting fun with these salted caramel hot chocolate bombs! Decadent chocolate is brushed into round molds, dried, and filled with marshmallows and caramel. Melt them in a warm cup of milk for a delicious, winter treat.
Ok, I’m officially jumping on this hot cocoa bomb train. I can’t help it, they’re so addicting and a blast to make. It’s also fun to come up with various flavor combinations. It makes for an easy way to get creative without going through a lot of work. Really, it’s just changing up the inside ingredients or making them your own.
These bombs work great as gifts, treats, or even a neat party addition. What’s great about this specific recipe is that you don’t need any hot chocolate powder for the middle. That’s only if you use the best chocolate. The richness makes it deliciously rich without added powder. Try serving a hot cup of this tasty hot chocolate alongside my strawberry cake or even some Italian lemon ricotta cookies.
How To Make
- Melt the chocolate – Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Spoon some into molds and spread evenly with a spoon.
- Chill – Cool in the freezer and touch up any thin areas.
- Fill – Place the filling on the inside of the cups. Sealed closed.
- Serve – Place each bomb in its own cup of hot milk and allow it to melt. Enjoy!
Top Tips For The Ultimate Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Use other melting chips – You don’t have to stick with chocolate as your bomb’s main ingredient. If you want to switch it from a hot chocolate bomb to something like a white chocolate bomb, you definitely could with little effort.
- Make other colors – Use chocolate candy melts in any color you prefer. Be careful using food coloring to add a splash of color to white chocolate. If it’s water-based food dye, it will seize the chocolate and it will be unusable.
- Add or adjust inner ingredients – Don’t want to use caramel? No problem, you can add, take away, or swap the ingredients on the inside. A touch of sea salt would go great with this salted caramel bomb!
- Use the best chocolate – Using high-quality chocolate will allow you to forgo adding the hot chocolate mix to the center of the bomb. If you don’t have better quality chocolate available to you, go ahead and add 1-2 tablespoons of the hot chocolate mix to the middle of the bomb before sealing it closed.
How Do You Use a Hot Chocolate Bomb?
Well, you definitely don’t put them in the bathtub with you, that’s for sure. You’ll want to heat some milk (about 10-12 ounces is how much I use) and add the hot chocolate bomb to the cup. Allow it to melt and then stir the contents to help it dissolve fully. Be sure to not heat your milk too quickly or it will curdle. Heat it slowly, over the stove, with more controlled heat, for the best results.
Go ahead and give these salted caramel hot chocolate bombs a try, then let me know in the comments below how you liked them! You can find more delicious recipes and cooking tutorial videos on Youtube and Facebook.
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Silicone Mold
- 1 cup chocolate wafers good quality
- 6 tsp salted caramel 2 teaspoons for each chocolate bomb
- mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- Melt the chocolate according to package directions. Start with a clean and dry silicone mold on a tray. Pour the chocolate into each well and use a spoon to evenly spread the chocolate right up to the edges.
- Place the tray in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes. Remove from the freezer and add a second layer of chocolate anywhere that seems a bit thin, especially around the top rim of the circle. Return to the freezer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the circles from the mold and set them onto the chilled tray from the freezer. Then gently melt the edges of the circles on a hot plate so you’ll have a smoother seam between the two halves. Repeat with all of the other 5 circles.
- Add the marshmallows and caramel to half of the cups. Heat the edges of the empty cups again, one at a time, and set them onto one of the filled cups. When all of the bombs are filled and sealed together you can melt the chocolate to drizzle on top. I used the same chocolate that was used for the cups.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the tops and then immediately sprinkle with the flake salt. Set the finished bombs back in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to help the chocolate drizzle harden.
- To use the bombs: Heat milk to around 140 degrees f and carefully pour over the top of the bomb and then stir until smooth. Or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.