What’s better than Margaritas, guacamole, and enchiladas? Nothing. What I love about these enchiladas is the tenderness of the beef. When you lift the meat with a fork, the juices drip down. Combine tender shredded flavorful meat with a delicious sauce, cheese, and tortillas, and you’re in heaven! This recipe does require some time and effort but like I said in the video…it is SO worth it!
Enchiladas from Scratch
Servings: 6 servings
The tender meat and rich enchilada sauce is made from scratch. These are the perfect enchiladas.
Shredded Beef Recipe
- 3 lb Flank Steak
- 1/2 tbsp Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 cup Red Enchilada Sauce
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Red Enchilada Sauce
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 8 Dried Ancho Chiles
- 2 Onions
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place beef into a pressure cooker and cover with water, cook for about 1 hour on medium high heat. (please read your pressure cookers manual. Also don't get rid of the water you cooked your beef in.
- shred the beef with 2 forks and set aside.
- cut the stems off the ancho chiles and remove the seeds.
- place the ancho chiles in a pot filled with water and boil the chiles for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
- roughly chop onions and tomatoes and add them to a skillet with some oil. season them with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- take the ancho chiles out of the water and drain them, then add the chiles and garlic cloves to the tomatoes and onions.
- add 3 cups of water from the pressure cooker you cooked your beef in and add it to your onions, chiles, and tomato mixture and let it cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes
- add the onions, chile, and tomato mixture to a food processor and blend it.
- strain the chile mixture, you only want to keep the thin liquid.
- place the enchilada sauce (thin liquiinto a skillet and season it with salt and cumin. simmer the enchilada sauce for about 10 minutes over low heat.
- drizzle some oil into a pot and add about 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce and 1 cup of beef stock.
- place the shredded beef into the pot and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- grill or fry your corn tortillas and dip them into the enchilada sauce then add the shredded beef and cheese and roll them up.
- add extra sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle some more cheese and green onions on top. cover and bake for about 10-15 minutes in a preheated oven at 400 degrees.
Calories: 576kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 1382mg | Potassium: 1974mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 13115IU | Vitamin C: 23.7mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 7.5mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @cookedbyjulie or tag #cookedbyjulie!
Made this recipe using a roasted chicken instead of the beef and it was great.