These spiced Indian lentils are super creamy and a tad bit spicy. Super flavorful. It’s the only way I prepare lentils these days. Once in a while, I’ll switch it up and make them Cuban style with sofrito to take me back to my childhood. Ok, so those two ways. I love serving this over white basmati rice and roasted chicken. So good.
If you have garlic naan even better.
More Recipes to Try
Spiced Indian Lentils
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of asafetida
- 2 red chilies
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 small onion
- 1 large tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the lentils.
- Combine the lentils, turmeric, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, and 4 cups water.
- Cook over high heat until it comes up to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, heat some oil in a large skillet.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and chilies. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and asafetida and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the onions and tomatoes and cook for 7-10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the remaining tbsp ginger garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked lentils to the onion and tomato mixture and mix well.
- Season with salt and chili powder.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes and then serve immediately.
- Garnish with fresh coriander if desired, and enjoy!