These lentils are super creamy and a tad bit spicy. Super flavorful. It’s the only way I prepare lentils these days. Once in a while, I’ll switch it up and make them Cuban style with sofrito to take me back to my childhood. Ok, so those two ways. I love serving this over white basmati rice and roasted chicken. So good.
If you have garlic naan even better.
Spiced Indian Lentils
Delicious and creamy spiced Indian lentils. Served over white rice for a delicious meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of asafetida
- 2 red chilies
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 small onion
- 1 large tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the lentils.
- Combine the lentils, turmeric, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, and 4 cups water.
- Cook over high heat until it comes up to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, heat some oil in a large skillet.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and chilies. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and asafetida and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the onions and tomatoes and cook for 7-10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the remaining tbsp ginger garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked lentils to the onion and tomato mixture and mix well.
- Season with salt and chili powder.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes and then serve immediately.
- Garnish with fresh coriander if desired, and enjoy!