When it comes to roasted chicken I prefer a juicy bland chicken over a dried flavorful chicken. You can always add salt to a chicken but when a chicken is overcooked and dried it’s game over. Of course, I dislike bland chicken but I was just pointing out that a dry chicken is much worse.
This chicken was super juicy because we brined it, covered the breasts, we used butter, and we didn’t overcook it. That’s a recipe for a deliciously moist chicken. A lot of people dislike roasted chicken because it can be dry but when roasted perfectly it is magical.
You can do so much with a roasted chicken. You can serve it with veggies and scalloped potatoes, add it to a salad, shred it and make a chicken dip. So many options.
I brined the chicken with salt, sugar, garlic cloves, onions, and oranges.
Lots of butter and herbs.
Juicy Roasted Chicken
- 6 1/2 lbs whole chicken
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the brine, pour the water, salt, and sugar into a large pot and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add the orange, garlic cloves, onions, and whole chicken into the pot.
- Place it in the fridge and let it sit for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, rinse it, and pat it dry with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, thyme, rosemary, oregano, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the entire chicken with the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle extra salt and pepper all over the chicken.
- Cover the breasts with aluminum foil.
- Stuff the chicken with fresh garlic and onions.
- Tie the legs with kitchen twine and tuck the wings under the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken and cook it for an additional 30 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before carving and enjoy!