When it comes to roasted chicken I prefer a juicy bland chicken over a dried flavorful chicken. You can always add salt to a chicken but when a chicken is overcooked and dried it’s game over. Of course, I dislike bland chicken but I was just pointing out that a dry chicken is much worse.
This chicken was super juicy because we brined it, covered the breasts, we used butter, and we didn’t overcook it. That’s a recipe for a deliciously moist chicken. A lot of people dislike roasted chicken because it can be dry but when roasted perfectly it is magical.
You can do so much with a roasted chicken. You can serve it with veggies and scalloped potatoes, add it to a salad, shred it and make a chicken dip. So many options.
I brined the chicken with salt, sugar, garlic cloves, onions, and oranges.
Lots of butter and herbs.
Juicy Roasted Chicken
This moist and flavorful chicken so easy to prepare and the brine helps make it a crowd pleaser to feed your entire family.
- Prep Time: 500
- Cook Time: 215
- Total Time: 11 hours 55 minutes
- 6 1/2 lbs whole chicken
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the brine, pour the water, salt, and sugar into a large pot and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add the orange, garlic cloves, onions, and whole chicken into the pot.
- Place it in the fridge and let it sit for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, rinse it, and pat it dry with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, thyme, rosemary, oregano, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the entire chicken with the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle extra salt and pepper all over the chicken.
- Cover the breasts with aluminum foil.
- Stuff the chicken with fresh garlic and onions.
- Tie the legs with kitchen twine and tuck the wings under the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken and cook it for an additional 30 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before carving and enjoy!