I have a love-hate relationship with stuffed bell peppers. I go years without eating them and then I go through phases where I eat them almost every other day. I’m not a fan of stuffing the peppers with raw beef so instead, I cook the beef separately. I love seasoning it will a bunch of different spices. Season it to your liking if you’d like but the recipe down below is perfect.
This is the type of recipe that can be made very healthy or very comforting. I like a mixture. You can definitely omit the white rice and substitute it with brown rice. You can also omit rice altogether and throw in some more veggies like zucchini and more mushrooms.
Taco Stuffed Peppers
Deliciously seasoned ground beef stuffed in roasted bell peppers.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- Cuisine: American, Texmex
- 4 Bell Peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp red crushed pepper (optional)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp green chilies
- 1 tbsp chipotle sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice a thin layer of the bottom of the peppers and the tops as well.
- Remove seeds and membrane, then rinse.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the peppers cook, heat some oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and mushrooms, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red crushed pepper flakes and cook until fragrant.
- Remove the onion mixture and add more oil if needed.
- Add the ground beef and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Cook the beef until completely browned.
- Add the onion mixture, cumin, oregano, paprika, chili powder, green chilies, 3/4 cup salsa, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer the beef over low heat for 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add rice to the cooked beef mixture.
- Stuff peppers with beef and rice mixture.
- Pour remaining salsa over the peppers and top off with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve with fresh lime.