This tartar sauce recipe is the easiest and most delicious condiment you’ll ever prepare. You can make this creamy delicious sauce in under 10 minutes! Serve this with Southern-fried shrimp, fried tilapia, or any type of seafood.
Tartar sauce is traditionally served with seafood but I love to serve it with French fries and roasted veggies too. Once you make this you’ll never buy store-bought sauce ever again. It’s that fresh and good!
Ingredient’s You’ll Need
- Mayo – I recommend using your favorite store-bought mayo.
- Herbs – Fresh dill and tarragon are what I like to use but feel free to add some fresh parsley as well.
- Sugar – this will help to balance the acidity from the pickles and capers.
- Pickles – Make sure to finely dice the pickles.
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Lemon
How To Make
Begin by finely dicing the pickles. Roughly chop the tarragon and dill and set aside. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe FAQS And Expert Tips
What is the difference between mayo and tartar sauce?
Mayonnaise is an emulsion of oil, lemon juice or vinegar, and egg yolk. Tartar sauce is a condiment made of mayo, lemon juice, capers, pickles, and herbs. Mayo can be served with burgers, sandwiches, and etc. while tartar sauce is mainly served with seafood.
How long does homemade tartar sauce last for?
Place the sauce in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Play around with this recipe, if you like it on the sweeter side add more sugar. If you want the sauce chunkier, add more pickles and herbs.
More Condiments You’ll Enjoy
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. And consider following me on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest!
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon
- 2 pickles finely diced
- 1 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely dice the pickles and set them aside. Roughly chop the dill and tarragon.
- Add the mayo, capers, lemon juice, pickles, dill, tarragon, and sugar to a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!