When I went to California a couple of years ago I made sure I visited a bunch of famous restaurants and bakeries. Sweet Lady Jane was one of the bakeries I visited and the triple berry cake they make was one of the most memorable cakes I’ve ever had. Not only was it delicious but it was so beautiful and had a homemade feel to it. I fell in love with the triple berry cake and of course, I ran home and baked this right away. I loved it. It’s definitely a summer cake. Make sure to use fresh berries and keep it in the fridge.
Look at all the berries!! I used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Sweet Lady Jane bakery uses blackberries I believe but I’m not a fan of blackberries. Too many seeds can be annoying to eat.
Triple Berry Cake
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until nice and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and eggs to the sugar mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture alternating with the milk.
- Pour the batter into three greased 8-inch baking pans and bake for 18-20 minutes or until done.
- To make the whipped cream, mix the heavy cream on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix for an additional 20 seconds.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of whipped cream on the bottom layer cooled cake and top with strawberries.
- Place the second cake layer on top and repeat the process.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake, decorate with fruit and enjoy!