When I went to California a couple of years ago I made sure I visited a bunch of famous restaurants and bakeries. Sweet Lady Jane was one of the bakeries I visited and the triple berry cake they make was one of the most memorable cakes I’ve ever had. Not only was it delicious but it was so beautiful and had a homemade feel to it. I fell in love with the triple berry cake and of course, I ran home and baked this right away. I loved it. It’s definitely a summer cake. Make sure to use fresh berries and keep it in the fridge.
Look at all the berries!! I used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Sweet Lady Jane bakery uses blackberries I believe but I’m not a fan of blackberries. Too many seeds can be annoying to eat.Print
Triple Berry Cake
This easy to bake cake is light and not to sweet with the use of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries for an almost tart cake that is flavorful and has all the hints of summer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- 24 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until nice and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and egg whites to the sugar mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture alternating with the milk.
- Pour the batter into three greased 8-inch baking pans and bake for 25 minutes or until done.
- To make the whipped cream, mix the heavy cream on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix for an additional 20 seconds.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of whipped cream on the bottom layer cooled cake and top with strawberries.
- Place the second cake layer on top and repeat the process.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake, decorate with fruit and enjoy!