I am not a Vegan but don’t let that discourage you from making this delicious soup. Hope I haven’t lost you with that opening statement. Yay, you’re still here! Awesome! Everyone will enjoy this soup on a cold winter day. Some bread on the side would be awesome as well. It’s so easy to make and really requires almost no effort at all. I added very few spices but you can certainly spice it up and add as many as you’d like. Cumin and chili powder made it taste amazing and didn’t really need anything else other than salt and pepper. Give this a try even if you aren’t vegan. You won’t be disappointed.
Vegan Spicy Split Pea Soup
A comforting soup that will warm you right up.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Yield: 6 people
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb split pea
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 carrot sticks
- 1/2 jalapeno diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leafs
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 8 cups of vegetable stock or water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Warm up some olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, jalapeños, carrots, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the split peas, cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the water and cook over medium-high heat until it comes up to a bowl.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 hour.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Remove the soup from the heat and using an emulsion blender, blend for 10 seconds or until nice and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!