These buffalo shrimp are the ultimate appetizer for game-day. Fried till golden brown, tossed in buffalo sauce then served with blue cheese dressing.
Enjoy these buffalo shrimp on top of a salad for lunch or for dinner alongside creamy mashed potatoes.
There is nothing better than a bowl of fried buffalo shrimp on a summer day. This recipe brings back childhood memories when I used to go down the Jersey shore with my family. I never thought I’d make these at home.
How Do You Make Buffalo Shrimp?
To make these, combine the milk, salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, and 1/2 tsp oregano. Place the shrimp in the milk mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and let it reach 375 degrees F.
Add the all-purpose flour to a dish along with the remaining spices.
Discard the milk and coat the shrimp in the seasoned flour. Make sure to coat the shrimp well. Fry the shrimp for 4-5 minutes or until golden crisp.
To make the buffalo sauce, simply mix the buffalo sauce, fresh garlic, and butter in a medium sauce-pan and cook for 5 minutes.
Coat the shrimp in the buffalo sauce and serve with blue cheese dressing, if desired.
Top Tips For The Perfect Shrimp
- Use raw, peel and deveined shrimp for this recipe for best results.
- Remove the shrimp tails and discard them.
- Fry the shrimp in batches and do not overcrowd the pan.
- For spicy shrimp, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Make sure to really coat the shrimp in the flour mixture so they’re nice and crispy.
- Keep the oil as close as possible to 375 degrees F. Oil that is too hot will overcook the shrimp too quickly and oil that’s not hot enough will result in greasy shrimp.
What Goes Well With Buffalo Shrimp?
I prefer to serve these with blue cheese dressing but feel free to enjoy these with ranch dressing instead. Any dip would go nicely with these. Celery sticks and carrot sticks also go great with buffalo shrimp.
Once you make these, you will never eat plain fried shrimp again!
More Seafood Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Salmon Burgers
- Spicy Honey Shrimp and Broccoli
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Salmon and Shrimp
- 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Combine milk, salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp oregano, and 1/2 tsp paprika.
- Pat shrimp dry, place it in the milk mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 375 degrees.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp oregano, and 1/2 tsp paprika.
- Discard the milk and coat the shrimp in the flour mixture.
- Remove the excess flour and fry the shrimp for 4-5 minutes or until golden crisp.
- While the shrimp fry, place the butter, garlic, and buffalo sauce in a saucepan over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Toss the shrimp with the buffalo sauce in a bowl until each piece is coated.
- Serve with bleu cheese and enjoy!