Make these easy creamy mashed potatoes in under 30 minutes! I love to serve these with chicken fried steak with gravy or meatloaf parmesan.
The secret to perfect mashed potatoes:
Softened unsalted butter
Use russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes
Fresh chives or parsley to garnish
Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes are my potatoes of choice, for these mashed potatoes I used Yukon gold potatoes.
Make sure you peel them the best you could and then place them in cold salted water. Cook them for about 20 minutes if they’re small potatoes. You want to make sure a knife goes through them very easily before rinsing and mashing them.
Keep a close eye on them around the 18th minute because they can easily overcook.
When the potatoes start crumbling and falling apart, you overcooked them.
If you enjoyed these loaded mashed potatoes then you certainly will love these creamy mashed potatoes. You can add granulated garlic, fresh garlic, truffle oil, mushrooms, etc. Although these are perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas, you can certainly enjoy them year-round.
How to keep the mashed potatoes warm?
You can place the mashed potatoes in a slow cooker on the keep warm function or you can place them in the oven at 250 degrees F.
What to serve with these mashed potatoes?
- Creamy Smothered Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Honey Butter Fried Chicken
- Baked Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Easy and creamy mashed potatoes made with real potatoes, milk, and butter. Make these in under 30 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Cuisine: American
- 3 lbs Yukon potatoes, peeled
- 3/4 cup hot milk
- 8 tbsp unsalted softened butter
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley or chives
- salt to taste
- Peel potatoes and place them in a large pot.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water and season the water generously with kosher salt.
- Bring to a rapid boil and cook for 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place them back in the pot.
- Using a potato masher, mash them and add the hot milk simultaneously.
- Stir in the butter and check for seasoning.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or chives and enjoy!
Warm the milk in the microwave or in a small saucepan over medium heat before adding to the mashed potatoes.
Keywords: creamy mashed potatoes