Chicken parmesan topped off with marinara sauce and lots of cheese. Crispy chicken cutlets seasoned and pan-fried till golden brown, made in under 30 minutes!
Serve this with pasta and a tomato avocado salad for a complete meal.
Chicken parmesan aka chicken parmigiana has to be one of my all-time favorite meals. An Italian-American classic that is actually super easy to make at home. Whether you prepare this with store-bought sauce or make your own, the star of the dish is a perfectly golden brown chicken cutlet with melted cheese.
How Do You Make Chicken Parmesan?
Start by covering the chicken with plastic wrap and pounding it using a meat mallet. Once you get the chicken breasts nice and thin, season it with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder on both sides.
Coat the chicken breasts with all-purpose flour on both sides, shaking off any excess. Dip the floured chicken in the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
Fry the chicken cutlets in vegetable oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees f. Remove the cooked chicken from the skillet and place it in an oven-safe baking dish.
Add about 1/4 cup of marinara sauce to each chicken cutlet and cover it with fresh mozzarella cheese and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley. Enjoy with spaghetti or any type of pasta you prefer.
Top Tips and Recipe Variations
- Although I highly recommend using marinara sauce for this recipe you may use vodka sauce or any type of tomato-based sauce you may have on hand.
- Want to spice things up? Add lots of crushed red pepper to the sauce.
- Use any type of mozzarella cheese. Buffalo mozzarella cheese, fresh, or shredded works perfectly fine.
- Make sure to let the cheese melt completely before serving.
- Add as much or as little sauce as you like. I like adding a generous amount.
- Definitely use white meat chicken for this and discard any fat.
Can You Freeze Chicken Parm?
Yes, absolutely. Cook the chicken as advised and then place it in an airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. Although the chicken won’t be as crispy it will still be delicious.
Once you make this mouth-watering chicken parmesan recipe at home you’ll never order it at a restaurant again. It’s so easy to make and much more economical. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends and family!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and pound it until thin, using a meat mallet.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Coat the chicken on both sides with the flour. Remove any excess flour.
- Dip the chicken in the egg, then the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Fry in a large skillet for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove from the skillet and discard any excess frying oil.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet, add about 1/4 cup of marinara sauce to each chicken breast and then cover with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti and enjoy!