This chicken and mushroom skillet couldn’t be easier to make! Chicken breasts tossed in a delicious lemon butter sauce with mushrooms and spinach.
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
What I love most about this chicken and mushroom skillet is that it’s pretty healthy and takes less than 30 minutes to cook. I love adding fresh vegetables to my weeknight meals so believe me when I say I eat this meal often.
I didn’t add too much dairy to this dish because I wanted it to be a light meal. However, you may certainly make this as creamy and rich as you’d like. Although I guarantee you will love this just as is. It’s incredibly flavorful and a perfect weeknight meal.
Ingredient’s You’ll Need
- Chicken – You may certainly use boneless or bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe but it will take a little longer to cook. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Chicken Stock
- Garlic – I highly recommend using fresh garlic.
- Butter – Will help thicken the sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese – This along with the butter will help thicken the sauce a bit.
- Lemon – If you’re not a fan of lemon you may omit it but it adds incredible flavor to this recipe.
- Granulated Garlic
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Skillet:
- Season the chicken on both sides and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Saute the onions, spinach, and mushrooms for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 20 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, butter, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken back into the skillet and cook until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- You may add flour or a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. To make a cornstarch slurry simply add equal parts of cornstarch and water.
- Heavy cream will also help thicken the sauce.
- Incorporate as many veggies as you’d like. Carrots, corn, and peas are fantastic additions to this recipe.
What to Serve This With?
Although this is low carb and keto-friendly you may serve this with creamy mashed potatoes or rice if not following a low carb diet. Other great side options include cheesy scalloped potatoes and cheese garlic biscuits.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
- 1 lb chicken boneless
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- red crushed pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with granulated garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, and spinach to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the fresh garlic and red crushed pepper and cook for an additional 20 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, butter, lemon juice, parmesan cheese and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper and place the chicken back into the skillet.
- Serve warm and enjoy!