Call this whatever you want, Creamed Spinach or Spinach Dip! It is the best-creamed spinach/spinach dip I’ve ever had in my life. I used cream cheese because it is delicious and very creamy. If a dish is fried/naughty and contains cheese more than likely that cheese will be cream cheese. If you want to use mascarpone or something other than cream cheese you may do so but make sure to use the butter/flour/milk quantities. It is foolproof.
So creamed spinach should look like this…
Serve it with some steak and you’re good to go.
Spinach Dip probably looks more like this…
Serve it with some tortilla chips and you’re good to go!
I believe this recipe is the best recipe. I know it’s pretty obnoxious to make that claim but that’s how much I believe in this recipe. Want dip? Load it with some parmesan cheese on top to get that nice crust. Or serve it creamy style without placing it in the oven and it’ll be just as delicious.
Butter darkens quickly and onions take 3-4 minutes to soften so I like to add in the onions while the butter is melting.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- Pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat, when the butter is half way melted add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle in the flour slowly while continuously whisking.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and whole milk.
- Lower the heat and add the cream cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add the spinach and cook for an additional minute.
- Season with salt and pepper generously.
- Place the creamed spinach in an oven safe dish and top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.